vrijdag 13 oktober 2023

Pay your rent

I'm breathing to the sound of my heartbeat.

A ringing in my ears that I can't ignore.

I'm breathing on the sound of running feet

And I cry with my eyes locked on my door.


I'm fine.

Aren't I?


I'm existing just so I can continue on. Somehow.

But there are thoughts in my brain I can't scratch.

Life continues to count the days down. Somehow.

But I'm still digging at the feelings in my chest.


I'm fine.

Aren't I?


People won't stop telling me to get 

Out of my head.

That it doesn't matter what is brewing, 

I'm safe in my bed.

Am I?

Am I?


I'm waiting for you to break and see

That people are dying

And it isn't just me.


The images burned into my mind won't dim.

My eyes search for faces in the news.

I'm ready to take my eyes and collect my sin.

While you keep pretending you never knew.


I'm not fine

Am I?


Distance means nothing to me 

And people never meant anything to you.

You just want the silence 

And I want some way to help,

Something to do.

Some way I'm not only

Watching them disappear

So soon.


We're not fine,

Are we?


~•~


They used to be dragons.


A square with bodies laid reverently in a line.

I mourn the stories that will be lost in time.

We should remember them when they are alive.

We should have cared enough to draw a line. 


We should have screamed.


Don't move past this, don't cross that sand!

These are lives crumbling away in your hands.

Those are people colouring your boots red.

What is left after you collected the dead


To pay your rent?

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten